Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Why an Ange Hamm blog?

Or perhaps the better question is, why not an Ange Hamm blog? Blogs are, by definition, pretty self-referential, and I'm rather full of myself, so let me introduce myself.

I am Andrew Hamm, the Postmodern Renaissance Man. Hello. How are you today? By night I am a costumed righter of wrongs and adjuster of injustices! Yo Joe! Avengers Assemble!

My secret identities have changed many times throughout the years. In Richmond from 1992-1997, I was a Theatre student at Virginia Commonwealth University, then a touring actor for Theatre IV. In New York City from 1997-1999, I was an administrative professional, an optical lab technician, an actor, a musician, and a freelance sports writer. In Albany from 1999-2001, I was once again an administrative professional, an optical lab technician, an actor, a musician, and a freelance sports writer.

In Richmond once more from 2001 through the present, I graduated from the lab to the front of the optical store before getting my MFA in Theatre Pedagogy from the same Virginia Commonwealth University (now under new management!). At VCU, I taught publich speaking and acting, wrote plays, produced plays, directed plays, scored plays, acted in plays, created an ensemble theatre laboratory, and did my thesis on a staged concert based on Joe Jackson's Night and Day and Night and Day II albums, cleverly entitled Joe Jackson's Night and Day. After graduating in May 2005, I heeded a call and served as Interim Youth Minister at Christ Church Episcopal in Short Pump. My interim concluded, I have recently joined the staff of the Encore! Theatre Company.

But all that is just noise. Let's get one thing straight: the number one thing is my faith. Period. Not to get all evangelical on you, but in the words of King Missile, "Jesus was way cool." You should look Him up, if you haven't spoken to Him lately.

I've been thinking very seriously about creating a blog for some time, and this just seemed to be the time. So here it is. What will I write about? Well, whatever comes across my mind, and I assure you a lot of junk shoots across these silly synapses. The performing arts, for example. I'm a professional theatre and music artist in Richmond, Virginia, and I'd like to write about that. Politics and world events are big for me; I'm a registered radical moderate. Sports are big, especially the NFL and baseball. I'm a very optimistic Washington Redskins, Philadelphia Phillies, and Boston Red Sox fan. Faith and American culture are often at odds with each other these days, and I'd like to write about that. And I love comic books.

So why should you read my blog? Well, I'm a writer, so hopefully the style will be above the normal level of your average blog. And I'm pretty darn smart, so the content should be the same. But hopefully you'll read and come back for two reasons: 1) There's no way of knowing what the heck I'm going to write about, and 2) It's going to be fun as all git-out.

So that's all. Happy reading! God bless us, every one!

1 Comments:

  • At 2/25/2006 12:44 PM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Wow, Andrew! What a great idea, for you to create a blog! You're the coolest guy I know! Whan I grow up, I want to be just like you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home