Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Monday, January 29, 2007

My New Iraq Strategy Strategy

Here's my new idea for clarifying our Iraq War strategy: Put Chuck Hagel and Joe Lieberman in a room together and let them decide how to proceed.

Hagel, a conservative Republican, publicly opposes the war, while Lieberman, a liberal former Democrat, has consistently supported military action. Hagel is under a lot of pressure and continues to hold his ground; Liberman has been kicked out of his party for dissenting on this single issue.

Senators Hagel and Lieberman are freaking American heroes as far as I'm concerned. It is so rare for any politician to be anything but a party-line idealogue these days that I'm pretty sure these are the two most honorable men in Washington. The only conclusions I can come to about these men is that they're both thinkers rather than party-line automatons. Dissenting on this most polarizing issue implies a mind that investigates issues on their own merits rather than on the merits of the talking points the national committee handed down for the current news cycle.

I'm telling you: put these guys in a room and have them hash it out. Both have proven their courage and ability to think independently. And both can obviously both speak and hear an unattractive argument.

Damn, I'm becoming cynical in my old age. Can we get some more elected officials like these, please?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home