Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wake-Up Call from a Deer

My jerkface cats insisted that I wake up at 6:00, 6:20; 6:45, 7:04, and 7:20 this morning. This after staying up until midnight watching Hellboy with Phil and Joe Hamm (aka Joham) and before a day that involves leading worship at 10:00, playing music at a church celebration event until 2:00, then setting up and playing the gig at ComedySportz. In other words, I really needed that two hours of sleep Mercutio and Sebastian denied me. Jerks.

Finally, at 7:45, I conceded that I was very unlikely to benefit from lying around any more. I determined to get up. Just at that very moment, clearly mocking me, my alarm went off. Grr. (I mean, Jennie Mehargrr.) So I got up and went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I was thinking about how hard it was going to be to maintain energy for the day as I walked over to the medicine cabinet and glanced out the window.

There, not fifteen feet from the house, was a deer sauntering through my back yard.

He was a buck, four points, his coat already grey for winter, just walking through my yard like he owned the place. He vanished before I could get Karen in a position to see him. But my heart is still pounding just thinking about him.

So the wildlife adventures on Castleton Road continue; two opossum skeletons in the shed, the mouse I found in the yard, several species of birds I can't identify, and now a deer.

I just have to thank God for letting me know, with that little adrenaline surge, "I will give you the strength to do what you are doing today in My name."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home