Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

"Ask Andrew!"

Welcome back to "Ask Andrew," where I publicize interesting email conversations with my friends. Brad from Seattle writes in:

I read on imdb.com that many right wing Christians hate Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I don't have a TV. Can you inform of (a) why they would hate it and (b) your opinions.

Thanks,
Brad


Well, Brad,

One of the principal characters of Studio 60 is a left-wing comedy writer who delights in writing sketches that tweak the Evangelical right.

Hating the show because of Matt is the stupidest thing ever. First of all, the writing hardly glorifies his opinions; he is painted as pretty much the most intolerant person on the show. Secondly, his ex-girlfriend and the show's female lead, Harriet, is an Evangelical Christian, and she's the best-written and most multi-dimensional Christian character on TV in years, maybe ever. You want to know what Aaron Sorkin thinks of Christianity? Look at Harriet, not Matt. And look at Sorkin's long history of great respect for religion and people of faith (Jeremy and Isaac from Sports Night, Jed and Abbey Bartlett from The West Wing).

I think the show is just magnificent. It's taking a bit longer than his previous shows to get its feet under itself, and Sorkin foolishly made Matt's anti-Christian stance the main story of the first few episodes, but it's very good. Heck, with Heroes coming on right before it, NBC's Monday night alone is worth having a TV for.

Thanks for writing in, Brad. And everyone should feel free to email questions, both silly and serious. Just "Ask Andrew!"

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • At 12/07/2006 10:12 AM , Blogger Wayne Conners said...

    I'm with you 100% on this, Andrew.

    I think Studio 60 has been a tad slow getting its act together, but that only illustrates how good a show it can be...

    I think it's VERY well cast. I'm really impressed with Matthew Perry and Steven Weber in particular. Bradley Whitford we knew was good.

    I'm less excited about Amanda Peet, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt for now.

    And of course, the writing, like every Sorkin show, is incredible. Is there anyone on the planet who can write dialogue like Aaron Sorkin? It practically jumps out of the TV and smacks you in the face.

    If I had any doubts about the show, they were blown out of the water by the two-part episode in Pahrump, Nevada. When John Goodman showed up as the judge, I thought, "it doesn't get any better than this."

     
  • At 12/07/2006 10:17 AM , Blogger Wayne Conners said...

    Well, shoot, when I started that previous comment I had intended to say that I liked the tension created by Harriet's firm Christian convictions juxtaposed against the show's and Matt's attitudes. I expect we will see more of that.

    I also wanted to say that Sports Night was one of the best half-hour shows ever created, and it was a sad sad day when they cancelled it.

     
  • At 12/07/2006 6:02 PM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    "Nevada Day" was Studio 60 officially arriving.

    And Sports Night is still my favorite Sorkin show.

     
  • At 12/07/2006 7:21 PM , Blogger Joey Fanelli said...

    The only email address of yours i know of is your teacher email. Can i use that?

     
  • At 12/08/2006 8:40 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    andrew@richmondshakespeare.com

     
  • At 12/08/2006 11:49 AM , Blogger Brad @ IceCreamUScream said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12/08/2006 5:14 PM , Blogger Joey Fanelli said...

    I asked that very question in theater class many times today.

     
  • At 12/10/2006 8:27 PM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    Guys, I agree that "Studio 60" is a good show regardless of what subtext about religion one might read into the producers' beliefs...but IMHO, it's competitor and "look alike" show, "30 Rock", is funnier by miles. I mean, any show that can make Tracy Morgan funny (and after years on "SNL", who suspected the guy IS funny?) is surely the best thing on TV today.

    And while I'm on that...despite my personal feelings about Alec Baldwin's politics, I must say the guy is VERY funny indeed, and "30 Rock" further confirms that conviction. If you've not checked it out, do yourself a favor and tune in next Thursday evening (or Tivo/DVR the thing) since it's no cinch to last for years to come. It's just too smart and too funny to play well in Peoria.

     
  • At 12/12/2006 8:53 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    A-diggity...

    Diggity diggity...

    Diggity diggity DELETED!

     
  • At 12/12/2006 7:25 PM , Blogger Joey Fanelli said...

    I think that's a fair question.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home