Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Go See "The Fountain," and Do It Soon.


"If you're a movie lover who despairs that big-scale filmmaking today consists of little more than a self-cannibalizing system of cliches; if you are fed up with putatively ambitious movies that turn out to sorely lack not just vision but actual brains and actual heart as well, then you need, badly, to see The Fountain, soon, and under the most optimum viewing conditions available. It may well restore your faith in the idea that a movie can take you out of the mundane and into a place of wonderment."

Thus wrote Premiere magazine's Glenn Kenny, my new favorite person on Earth. Karen and I just got back from watching Darren Aronofsky's new film, and neither one of us can remember being rendered so completely speechless by a movie in our lives. The only things I've ever seen anything like it are 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Even those two films, masterpieces in their own right, pale in many respects in comparison to The Fountain.

You're not getting a review from me here, and I recommend you avoid reading any. Just go see this dazzling and demanding film, and see it now; it's already starting to disappear from theatres. If you wait to see it on video, you will dearly regret it.

EDIT: Having slept on it, I am even more convinced that The Fountain may be the most remarkable and beautiful film I've ever seen. Don't miss it.
EDIT: Two days later, I still can't stop thinking about it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 12/02/2006 10:10 PM , Blogger Joey Fanelli said...

    I can't go to the movies untill next friday, and I already made plans with some friends to see Apocalypto.

    And why would one regret it if they waited for the DVD to come out?

     
  • At 12/03/2006 9:29 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    You need to see it on as big a screen as possible, with as excellent a sound system as possible.

     
  • At 12/03/2006 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Joey [who was too lazy to log in]

    I looked it up on wikipedia, and i didn't read the whole plot beacuse I didnt want to runin it for me, but I got the part about it taking place in the 16th, 26th and 36th centuries (i think thats how it goes) and in seems compleatly ingenius.

     
  • At 12/05/2006 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yech!

    Did you call this movie "demanding"?

    Yikes!

     
  • At 12/07/2006 1:13 AM , Blogger Brad @ IceCreamUScream said...

    It amazes me how different our opinions can be sometimes. I saw a preview screening and Aronofsky was there. He was a funny guy, but didn't say anything particularly interesting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home