Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Our New House!

Karen and I closed on our first house on Monday afternoon.

Sorry it's the same picture again; I haven't taken a bunch yet.

It's on the south side of Richmond, near the intersection of Chippenham Parkway and Jahnke Road, not too far from Cynde's place and the old Richmond Shakespeare offices. I'm going to need to get EZ Passes for both cars; there are tolls a-plenty down there. What's awesome is that our yard backs up to the wooded area of Powhite Creek Park, an untamed wilderness of forests and paths that are great for hiking and mountain biking. Apparently, there are plans in place to connect Powhite Park to James River Park by a bike path, which would mean that Karen and I could literally ride our bikes from home to Belle Isle straight through parks.

There's a lot of work to be done; the paint colors are pretty much awful, I need to schedule radon remediation, and we need to have some dead branches cut off a tree. Also, the previous owners left loads of junk they couldn't be bothered to move in the sheds, which is pretty infuriating. I guess that's the price of our haste to close before the end of the month.

We have two and a half weeks to move. Yikes.

I'll be by to take some more pictures this week.

7 Comments:

  • At 9/26/2007 9:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats Andrew! You are just down the street from me, but in a nicer area I think. I'm by the 7-11 off of Jahnke. Yeah, the EZ pass is the way to go and you will love that you are so close to every highway and the fan area. There is a wonderful coffee place on Forest Hill (right before it turns into Semmes) called Cross Roads that you should check out. Very much the area hangout.
    I hope you have a house warming when you are both settled in...so we can bring you gifts!

     
  • At 9/26/2007 9:51 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    I'm very familiar with Crossroads. It's a block away from Richmond Shakespeare's old offices; I've had meetings, study sessions, and even rehearsals there once or twice. It's the best coffee shop in town, not to mention the amazing Guiness Chocolate Stout Ice Cream.

    You know, we WILL have a house-warming party. This will be the first time we have had a home large enough to actually have a party at!

     
  • At 9/26/2007 12:44 PM , Blogger Scott Wichmann said...

    Congratulations Andrew and Karen-- you guys are doing great. It is especially inspiring to me because you're someone who works in the arts, and when artists are able to buy a house, they give us all hope!! It looks great, and best of all, it's YOURS. You've achieved the American dream, my friend!! Well done!!

     
  • At 9/26/2007 4:46 PM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    So Andrew, does this mean the Super Bowl party next year will be at YOUR house?

    Congratulations my friend, many blessings to you and Karen!

     
  • At 9/26/2007 5:03 PM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    Okay, so TOTALLY unrelated, but I just saw online news orgs saying Michael Vick tested positive for marijuana. Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone, given the unlimited resources of vast stupidity this man has at his disposal, but here's the kicker: Vick's lawyer's name is BILLY MARTIN. Now, I don't KNOW that there's any connection to the Noo Yawk Yankees, but the trail of evil sure does POINT in that direction, ya know???? I'm just SAYIN'!

     
  • At 9/27/2007 10:09 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Thanks, guys! The crazy thing is, we work in arts, education, AND ministry, three famously low-paying professions. I'm pretty overwhelmed by the packing and moving needs, on top of which I've given myself a Saturday deadline to be off-book for Richard II.

    Frank, we may not be as well set up for a Super Bowl party as you are, but an AFC/NFC Championships day is not out of the question. By the way, you were GREAT in Thoreau!

     
  • At 10/19/2007 3:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulation, Andrew and Karen. What fun! And a little more room than your apartment in upper Manhattan! Judie and I are proud of you both.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home