Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Intermission

In the quiet between conventions, as we ruminate over Obama's magnificent Thursday speech and await the McCain camp's VP announcement, a couple thoughts:

Dear Democrats: Please stop denouncing your opponents as too rich. You're all rich. You can't move in the circles of upper-level national government without being rich. You can't afford to run for federal office without being rich.

Not only that, but I want you to be rich. Wealth is one of the surest sign of success in a capitalist society. I want people in office who have demonstrated that they have achieved success in the private sector, in business, law, and industry. I want people who have turned a profit; they would seem--seem--less likely to run a deficit. I want our leaders to be successes. We've seen what happens when you elect a serial failure.

Dear Republicans: Please stop denouncing your opponents as too elite. You're all elite. You can't move in the circles of upper-level national government without being elite. You can't successfully debate ideas and perspectives on the federal level without being elite.

I want my elected representatives to be smarter and more educated than I am. I want them to be thinkers and dreamers, and I want them to have advanced degrees. I want them to have the widest vocabulary of words and thoughts possible. Salt of the earth is valuable, but advanced degrees and deep thought are what's called for here. We're not hiring someone to run a corner fruit stand. I want our leaders to have master's degrees and PhDs. Higher education doesn't necessarily disconnect you from the common man; it can (and often does) put you more in touch with humanity. It's okay by me if my elected leaders think the country needs things that I don't understand.

On a personal note, I've been justly criticized lately for claiming centrist views that my writing here doesn't really reflect. (Kind of like MSNBC.) In my defense, I know that most of the people who read and comment on this blog tend to the left. There's been plenty to criticize the GWBA about for the past several years. I just really didn't want to be yet another theatre artist bitching about conservatives and/or praising liberals. I've endeavored to be a questioner, a discussion-starter, and a devil's advocate. I want to raise issues and perspectives that those reading this might not seek out otherwise.

That said, as I look back on my previous political posts, I find that I have written almost nothing about the liberal causes I feel strongly about, and much less against the GWBA than I have felt. I'm going to shoot a bit more toward "fair and balanced" than I have, starting with this very post.



EDIT: Sarah Palin? Really?

As much as Biden is the safe choice for Obama, Palin is an unsafe one for McCain. She's an interesting woman, a social conservative, yet she exercised veto power to assure rights to same-sex partners. She's been a reformer in the face of corrupt Alaska politics. And she has two years more executive experience than Obama, Biden, and McCain combined.

But I said it about Obama and I'll say it about Palin: she'd be a really interesting candidate in a 2012. If I'm concerned about Obama's lack of experience, I'm terrified of Palin's.

And Biden is going to eat her alive in debates.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 8/29/2008 2:40 PM , Blogger Wayne Conners said...

    Yup. Sarah Palin. I'm sure she's a good person, and she may be a good chief executive of Alaska (to quote CNN's Jack Cafferty, "a state that has 13 people and some caribou"), but this definitely takes the experience issue off the table. She's a very risky choice, an unknown quantity as a campaigner, and the debate could be very entertaining...remember Admiral James Stockdale ("Who am I? Why am I here?")? I think she's a choice borne out of desperation.

     
  • At 8/29/2008 10:53 PM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    The choice of Sarah Palin may be the most cynical political move I've ever seen. Then again, she may turn out to be a real-life Laura Roslin!

     
  • At 8/29/2008 11:41 PM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    Well, don't count out Sarah Palin just yet...she's about as experienced as Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton were, and HEY - didn't those both just turn out peachy???

    Right? Hello? Is this thing on?

     
  • At 8/30/2008 9:02 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Har dee har har, Frank. ;-)

    No, after being as concerned as I am about Obama's lack of experience, I can't look at Sarah Palin's VP candidacy with anything less than an extremely jaundiced eye. It smacks of pandering and, as Wayne said, desperation.

    She's the anti-Biden! My only consolation, in the case of a hideoous Air Force One accident, is Laura Roslin.

     
  • At 8/30/2008 9:29 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Now I'm on a rant, dammit!

    This is EXACTLY the thing that Republicans accuse Democrats of: choosing a candidate because of some kind of affirmative action or minority quota. And I think it's a fair cop to say that Democrats do this sometimes; it's an occasional, natural bi-product of progressive ideals. But at least when Democrats do it, they do it WELL. This is just transparent. It's Harriet Myers.

    Though I understand it, it disappoints and troubles me to hear Democrats loving the Palin pick because it "weakens the Republican ticket." Ditto Republicans with Biden: "We can't wait for him to put his foot in his mouth again!" Clearly I'm a bit of an idealist, but I want both tickets to be as strong as possible to raise the level of debate. I don't want a political opponent who can't win an argument, I want one who just might change my mind.

    Also, I want a GOOD, smart, competent opposition in case my side loses. You would think the Democrats would have learned that lesson in 2000.

     
  • At 8/30/2008 10:02 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Also, Alaska has a smaller population than 16 US cities. I wanted someone with executive experience, but yeesh.

     
  • At 9/08/2008 12:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=184086&title=sarah-palin-gender-card

     
  • At 9/13/2008 7:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I appreciate your blog.hough I understand it, it disappoints and troubles me to hear Democrats loving the Palin pick because it "weakens the Republican ticket." Ditto Republicans with Biden: "We can't wait for him to put his foot in his mouth again!" Clearly I'm a bit of an idealist, but I want both tickets to be as strong as possible to raise the level of debate. I don't want a political opponent who can't win an argument, I want one who just might change my mind.
    ===================================
    williams..
    Clinical Depression

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home