Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Sunday, October 05, 2008

My head asplode

Today is too much sports awesomeness for me to handle..

1:05: Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles.

After last week's upset over the Cowboys, arguably the biggest event of the first quarter of the NFL season, the Redskins unbelievably finish their road division schedule in week five. I was expecting a .500 year from my 'Skins this year, especially after that deuce they dropped at the Giants in week one. But after the way the O-line and D-backs have played the past three weeks, I'm almost believing they are an NFC power. Why almost, when many of America's most knowledgeable NFL pundits are penciling them into the playoffs? Because I'm a Redskins fan, and I'm quite accustomed to the heartbreak of Norv Turner and Steve Spurrier teams, not to mention the perpetual teasing almost of Gibbs II: Electric Boogaloo.

(Gibbs II, at least, made the playoffs twice in four years. And he won a playoff game, something the Redskins have done twice since Dallas last won any. Eat that, Cowboys!)

Everyone's talking about the poise of Jason Campbell (Soup!), the punch of Clinton Portis, and the playmaking of Santana Moss, and rightly so. And don't discount the contributions of O-line coach Joe Bugel, who may have finally forged some new Hogs, and defensive coordinator Greg Blanche, whose scheme made Tony Romo look like Tony Danza last week.

(I do wish the Redskins would stop wearing white-on-white, though. It works for teams who have done it for a long time like the Browns and the Chiefs, but there's championship tradition in the white jerseys and burgundy pants. At least they're not wearing dark-on-dark, a hideous look that makes NFL teams look like AFL teams. I would have liked to see the 'Skins switch to the 70th anniversary retro uniforms full-time, but if they're sticking with the classic look, I wish they would wear it in the classic combination.)

Is this finally the year we stop looking to next year? In Jim Zorn, have we finally found the Next Big Coach instead of the Big Name Who Lets Us Down? It's early, but it sure looks that way. We may have replaced The Last Joe Gibbs with The Next Joe Gibbs.

If we win in Philadelphia, I'm officially going from fan to believer.

Speaking of Philadelphia...



1:07: Philadelphia Phillies at Milwaukee Brewers.

I think the entire City of Brotherly Love's head is asplode today, actually. What do you watch, marquee rivalry football game or series-clinching baseball game?

I was really hoping the Phils would win last night. Any game programmed against the Redskins is going to lose for me. The Phightins are relegated to commercial-break status. It isn't that I don't love the Phillies, it's that I lurve the Redskins. I could give you an allegory from my life, but it would only make sense to about three people. Trust me, those three would say "Ohhhhhh, okay, I get it. Yeah, you have to watch the Redskins game, I understand."

So I'm torn between the desire to see the Phillies win the NLDS and the desire to see the 'Skins win in Philly. What do I do if both games are close in the late innings / fourth quarter? My greatest hope is for either the Phillies or Redskins to have it put away by then so I don't feel bad about the bits I miss. Or I watch a gamecast on my laptop while the other game is on TV. Or I buy another TV and set them up side-by-side, as I did in Albany when I was writing a weekly football column. That was cool.

It still hasn't been announced who's starting for Philadelphia, making sports writers' jobs very hard. All I know is that Jeff Suppan is starting for Milwaukee, and Suppan has a strong postseason record. Jobu wake up bats. Series tied 2-2 is very bad. Is very bad.

I have a feeling about Chase Utley today, and about Pedro Feliz. Hence the picture of Pedro Feliz. Move it on to the NLCS, Phils. Give the home town fans something to cheer them after the Redskins beat the Eagles 27-22.



4:15ish: Andrew Hamm at Elsinore Castle.

This is where Andrew works on his lines hardcore. He also works on music for the show. And apparently he refers to himself in the third person.



7:17: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Boston Red Sox.

Beckett is pitching. At Fenway.

Nuff.

Said.



Of course, I have to watch all of this with one eye while the other is studying my lines for Hamlet. It's the Angels - Sox game that's most going to suffer. I promise I'll break away for the final three innings at least.

On a non-sports note, I worked on my lines Friday afternoon in Hollywood Cemetery. I spent a lot of time on 1.1, which features the appearance of Hamlet Sr.'s ghost. While working on that scene, a cat leapt out of the bushes, yowling, startled. Even in mid-day it scared the shit out of me. I responded by silently shouting, "Stay, illusion!" and delivering my speech to the ghost directly at a gravestone. I promised I would remember the name of the man I was addressing, but I can't recall it. It made my heart pound unexpectedly. Cemeteries are scarier to me than I thought they would be.

Working a ghost scene in a graveyard is scary, would basically be the point I'm making here.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 10/05/2008 12:46 PM , Blogger Scott Wichmann said...

    Enjoy the day, man. This day is like a gift-wrapped present!! i'm going with Eddie Tavares to watch the Pats at a sports bar today; I also have 2 fantasy football teams in action today...

    That 'Skins team is gonna be scary good. the best division in football is keeping them hungry week-to-week...

    Also good luck to the Phils. Put the Brewers away!!

    ...And, I'm looking forward to the Sox game with great enthusiasm...Let's hope the Sox can sing flights of Angels to their rest. BAM!!!

    My Lord of Ellsbury shall lead the way!!

     
  • At 10/05/2008 4:22 PM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    UPDATE!

    As of 4:05 this afternoon, I'm 2 for 2!

    The Phils put the Brewers away 6-2 to advance to their first NLCS since 1993. Look out, Dodgers; the Phillies have gone from being a one-dimensional offensive team to having the full package: power, speed, defense, starters, relievers, and great coaching.

    While Rollins was fielding the series-winning grounder, the Redskins were shocking the NFL with a second straight road underdog humiliation of a division rival. The ends of both games were literally simultaneous. I missed the baseball game's ending because I was watching Soup kneel down.

    Just like last week's victory at Dallas, the 23-17 score doesn't begin to describe how much the Redskins pushed the Eagles around this afternoon. They gained almost as many yards on the ground as the Eagles had given up in the previous four games combined. the Eagles had exactly one long drive, and it was the first one of the game. The only other time Philadelphia got inside the red zone, Washington stopped them inside the 2. twice.

    I can't help but remark that this was probably the worst-officiated NFL game I have ever seen. The Eagles were given a gift seven points when the referees improperly picked up the block-in-the-back flag after the touchdown kick return, and Randle El was never touched on his big first down catch in the fourth quarter. Many non-calls were made and good calls were brought back, and I've never seen so many conferences result in such incoherent explanations. This game was genuinely a 30-10 Redskins victory.

    The 'Skins are 4-1, and done with their NFC East away schedule. Their next three opponents are a total of 1-10.

    I officially believe.

    I'm totally jazzed, Scotto! And ready for the Red Sox to make my day 3 for 3. I'm wearing the Schilling tee you gave me. The only question is: red hat or blue hat?

     
  • At 10/05/2008 8:16 PM , Blogger Scott Wichmann said...

    Blue hat. Sorry so late. Just watched the Pats eek one out against the lowly Niners at Beef O'Brady's (funny name, but GREAT Place to watch a game) just got home and watching the Sox as we speak... wearing my blue hat.

    Congrats on your dominating day, dude!!

     
  • At 10/05/2008 9:50 PM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Blue hat it is.

    Good game by the Pats! They're still a real team! Anything can happen.

    Both the Phils and the Sox have scored almost all of their postseason runs with two outs. Who wouldn't want to see that World Series?

     
  • At 10/06/2008 8:24 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    2 for 3, with Sox - Angels game four tonight. Cheer double for me, buddy, while I'm in rehearsal!

     
  • At 10/06/2008 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Go Phils. You had a feeling about Utley and Feliz, but it was Burrell who was due! Two dingers!!!!

    Go Skins. I always have trouble watching a Skins / Eagles game, but this time it played second fiddle to the Phillies game so I didn't pay much attention. I'm not, as the Sports Junkies local radio guys say, "Horny for Zorny" yet, but I'm getting there.

    Go Red Sox.

    Hey Ange, on another note.... Can you imagine what the John & Pat Troisi house looks like about now? A staunch Dodger fan and a die-hard Phillies fan under the same roof! Oh, the humanity! I sent them an email - this is their 50th Anniversary present from The Baseball Gods™.

     
  • At 10/06/2008 9:05 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    It wasn't until the end of the Cowboys - Benglas game that I thought of John and Patsy. Talk about marital strife!

     
  • At 10/06/2008 9:06 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Phil, I just want to remind you that the last time you and I went to a game at the Vet together was the first day newly-drafted Pat Burrell took BP there.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home