Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Five Albums I'm Listening To Lately v2.0

Not much time, so I'll just drop a list. This is still being affected by the long and tedious minidisc-to-CD transfer. Feel free to respond with your comments, or perhaps five albums you're listening to right now.
  • John Coltrane - Blue Train. Because I've been listening to Kind of Blue a bit too much and I'm starting to feel one-jazz-dimensional.
  • Cypress Hill - Black Sunday. I really need to get Cypress' debut album and Funkdoobiest's Which Doobie U B badly. I only have both albums on (gasp) cassette!
  • Mr. Mister - Welcome to the Real World. Not just for "Kyrie" and "Broken Wings," but actually for the opening tracks, "Black / White" and "Uniform of Youth." Man, what a great album. What great songwriting. A funny note: Grant Mudge, my Artistic Director a Richmond Shakespeare, came in asking me if I remembered the song from the 80s with the chorus "Carry a laser down the road that I must travel." I immediately pulled up the MP3 on my computer and schooled him.
  • King Crimson - THRAK. I'm thinking of using a lot of Crim instrumentals as the score for Doctor Faustus this winter, and THRAK, Thrakattak, and The Power to Believe are great source material. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my minidisc of The ConstruKction of Light along with my good portable MD recorder! I'm sure they're in a box in the attic, but with temperatures approaching 100 three or four days this week I ain't going up there.
  • Lyle Lovett - Pontiac. I've known about Lyle for a while, but I'm just starting to really soak it in.

So that's that. Coming up... The official announcement of Richmond Shakespeare's 2006-2007 Downtown Season! (Hint: It has Doctor Faustus in it!)

2 Comments:

  • At 8/01/2006 9:14 AM , Blogger Wayne Conners said...

    I love *Blue Train*. In fact, I thinking the other day that I REALLY need to get it on CD, because I only have a cassette that I taped from my old vinyl LP. I remember we talked about the Coltrane/Monk at Carnegie Hall CD...I think I was supposed to loan that to you. Do you have it, and if not do you want to borrow it?

     
  • At 8/02/2006 9:30 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    I don't have it. I would love to borrow it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home