Five Albums I'm Listening To Lately v2.0
- John Coltrane - Blue Train. Because I've been listening to Kind of Blue a bit too much and I'm starting to feel one-jazz-dimensional.
- Cypress Hill - Black Sunday. I really need to get Cypress' debut album and Funkdoobiest's Which Doobie U B badly. I only have both albums on (gasp) cassette!
- Mr. Mister - Welcome to the Real World. Not just for "Kyrie" and "Broken Wings," but actually for the opening tracks, "Black / White" and "Uniform of Youth." Man, what a great album. What great songwriting. A funny note: Grant Mudge, my Artistic Director a Richmond Shakespeare, came in asking me if I remembered the song from the 80s with the chorus "Carry a laser down the road that I must travel." I immediately pulled up the MP3 on my computer and schooled him.
- King Crimson - THRAK. I'm thinking of using a lot of Crim instrumentals as the score for Doctor Faustus this winter, and THRAK, Thrakattak, and The Power to Believe are great source material. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my minidisc of The ConstruKction of Light along with my good portable MD recorder! I'm sure they're in a box in the attic, but with temperatures approaching 100 three or four days this week I ain't going up there.
- Lyle Lovett - Pontiac. I've known about Lyle for a while, but I'm just starting to really soak it in.
So that's that. Coming up... The official announcement of Richmond Shakespeare's 2006-2007 Downtown Season! (Hint: It has Doctor Faustus in it!)