Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Open Letter to Mark Brunell

Dear Mark,

I apologize. Please forgive me.

As you may recall, I suggested that you should be removed as starting quarterback for the Washington Redskins. More than suggested, I may have used the sentence "Mark Brunell must go." In fact, that may have been the title of my blog entry. In fact, I went so far as to suggest that Heath Shuler may be preferable as a starting quarterback right now. See, the joke there is twofold: 1) Shuler was a terrible NFL quarterback whose career was ended by chronic turf toe, of all things, and 2) He is in fact running for Congress right now, and not a quarterback at all. Put simply, I was dissatisfied with your performance thus far this season.

As I type this, you have just thrown an incompletion. That is worth mentioning because it was your first incompletion of the game, coming late in the third quarter and mere seconds after you set the all-time NFL record for most consecutive completions in a single game at 22.

Please please please forgive me. All is forgotten. Welcome back to my good graces.

I have no excuse. Yes, I used to write an NFL column, so I'm a bit more knowledgeable and less knee-jerk than your average football fan. But there's really no excuse. I should have known better. Blame it, if you will, on the culture of being a Redskins fan. It often seems like the last quarterback we had who was an uncontested #1 was Sammy Baugh. We are a fickle and often-stupid breed, we Washington Redskins fans. Yes, we rode Brad Johnson out of town in favor of Jeff freaking George. Yes, we actually thought Heath Shuler versus Gus Frerotte was a meaningful competition. Yes, we liked Jay Schroeder's arm more than Doug Williams' guts. Blame it all on Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer; it all started back then.

But that's no excuse. I should have stayed faithful. I should have believed that the offensive line would get its act together. I should have remembered how much a healthy Clinton Portis means to this team. I should have remembered that last year was statistically the best of your career. And I certainly never should have said "Give me Jason Campbell or give me death."

So as I type, you're ahead 31-15 in the fourth quarter, and frankly should be ahead more; that big Andre Johnson reception in the first quarter was the result of a blatant and uncalled offensive hold, and Portis' 15-yard taunting penalty seemed to make the referees disregard the fact that Houston defenders were throwing him down three yards out of bounds.

There's 12 minutes of football left, but I'm feeling good about your work today. 22 straight completions. Nice job.

I'm with you, man. Please accept my wholehearted apology.

If I may make a few suggestions, now that we're cool again: The penalties are killing you guys. Seriously. Stop with the holding and the pass interference. And maybe you want to look at some game film from last year where you made 40-plus-yard passes to Santana Moss look so easy. And you might want to knock it off with the Jekyll-and-Hyde thing. It makes us fans irritable.

While I've got your attention, can I ask you a question? What's with all the defensive backs with the long hair?

Regards,

Andrew Hamm

5 Comments:

  • At 9/27/2006 8:54 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    It's just you.

     
  • At 9/27/2006 8:54 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    And it's "conceited."

     
  • At 10/01/2006 10:09 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Perfectly.

    Keep on postin'.

     
  • At 12/08/2009 6:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good day !.
    might , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
    There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you need
    The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
    Do you want to become an affluent person?
    That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

    I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
    I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
    It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ijeluhyz.freecities.com/lymabup.html
    and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

     
  • At 12/15/2009 12:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good day !.
    You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
    There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you need
    The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
    Do you want to become a happy investor?
    That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

    I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
    I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
    It`s easy to join , just click this link http://atinytusek.freecities.com/ihaloga.html
    and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home