Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Orson Scott Card (of all people) on Iraq

Card's Hatrack River website is swiftly becoming one of my favorites. I missed this strong article in January. If you liked the Lieberman piece, you'll love this one.

An excerpt:

"I'm a Democrat -- a Scoop Jackson, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Joseph Lieberman Democrat. The kind that believes freedom is worth fighting for -- both our freedom of other peoples as well.

"The kind that places the interest of the American people and, yes, of the world at large over the temporary political advantage that can be derived from attacking a President in wartime.

"So when I watch Democratic leaders completely ignore the security interests of the United States in order to engage in cheap sloganeering ("bring our boys home!") and demagoguery, I am filled with shame and rage.

"Are they really so completely ignorant of history that they do not realize the golden opportunity we have, and the disastrous consequences of not seizing it?"

Another:

"The Left always wants someone to "do something," but never wants to do anything that works. And never wants to admit that President George W. Bush has ever done anything right.

"Well, he has; and the Democrats right now are doing something dangerously wrong. Every word they say strengthens and encourages our enemies, while discouraging and weakening our friends and allies in the Middle East. They are the best weapon Al Qaeda and the murderous Iranian and Syrian governments have against us. Every time they open their mouths in their misleading and deceptive attacks on Bush and demands for unilateral withdrawal from Iraq, they are helping ensure the future deaths of Americans and others, at home and abroad.

"It is one thing to raise legitimate questions about how a war is being waged. It is quite another thing to agitate openly for surrender to an enemy that will not accept our surrender, but will, scenting victory, continue to murder Americans wherever they can."

Card for President. Perhaps he should be Doctor Doom's running mate...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 3/01/2007 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Andrew. This has nothing to do with the current post...just wanted to report back on Richard III in DC. I saw it over the weekend. The production was outstanding. Having never seen Richard III before, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Geraint Wyn Davies’s Richard was amazing to watch. I would expect that an actor could fall into the all too easy trap of playing the role of Richard as an evil manipulator – without looking at all the layers. But what Geraint did was play him as someone who has no problem with who he is…and thus engaged the audience in the fun, delight and glee in the manipulation process of his road to the crown. The other wonderful surprise was how beautifully staged the fight chorography was. They used smoke and grates that were lit from below and actors playing both horses and fighters (hard to explain, but it was cool as shit) underscored by this wild pounding music. David Leong really got a chance to show off his amazing talents (I will however NEVER understand why he was picked as VCU’s theatre chair – but that’s another conversation.). The supporting cast was also outstanding (with the expectation of the women that played Lady Anne…flat, flat, flat). I noticed that there were a few folks that have worked in Richmond in the play…James Denvil and James Ricks. Both did a kick ass job!

    I left yearning for more of that kind of theatre in Richmond.

    The gang at RSC should make an effort to go up and see it…it is totally worth the ticket price.

     
  • At 3/01/2007 1:55 PM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Killer! If only you weren't anonymous I could greet you more fully!

    Sometimes I think Shakespeare liked villains more than heroes. Oftimes the bad guy is much more justified than the hero.

    There's a website out there where students get to rate their professors. Under David's name, a couple students have called the class he teaches "Napoleong." Love him or hate him, that's damn funny. Not as funny as his picture on the cover of "Fishing for Dummies," of course...

     
  • At 3/01/2007 3:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh that is hilarious! I had no idea that photo was out there! Yeah, I have too many friends who have gone through the masters program at VCU with David…the name Napoleong is fitting. But he is charmer among the rich and famous…and years ago when he stepped in...the VCU theatre dept needed that, more then they needed actual acting talent and the ability to teach.

    I wish Shakespeare was alive today…man, I bet he would write some kick ass roles for women. Now I guess this is giving away my sex…I can not divulge anymore…this e-mail will self destruct in 30 secs…

     
  • At 3/04/2007 9:28 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Funny: at Twelfth Night rehearsal yesterday we were talking about what a chump Orsino is, and how so many of Shakespeare's smartest women end up marrying jackasses. Just like real life, I guess. I mean, the ladies do find DOOM attractive, right?

     
  • At 3/05/2007 7:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh yeah...if Doom were on Match.com, he would be a hot item. Which goes back to my earlier question...why do good girls like bad boys? I am fairly sure that when I played with my Ken and Barbie doll...it was all about Ken saving her from the bad guys...not BEING one! But somehow here I am...an average American woman who has been attracted to more men that just "want what they want"...then the good guys. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT???

     
  • At 3/05/2007 8:52 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    I had a good friend in college, a gorgeous young woman with far more brains than I have. She told me once that she was looking for a guy with "a touch of evil." So what, you're looking for a part-time Klansman? Last name Amin? Only beats you one night a week?

    It made me write a song, "Bad Boy."

     
  • At 3/05/2007 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think you should share the lyrics with me!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home