Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

In brief...

A bunch of small things, none of which require a full blog entry.

G minus G.

I'm pretty sure Garfield Minus Garfield isn't very funny to me any more. There are too many moments that I recognize from my own life. Poor bipolar Jon. Maybe I'll get to a point when I can laugh my fool ass off at it again, but for now it's too close to a somewhat painful home.

Arena Football.

As I type this, the Philadelphia Soul (my team now that my old team went out of business) is leading the San Jose Saber Cats 44-27 in Arena Bowl XXII. If you're a sports fan and you've never been to an Arena League game, I highly recommend it. It's high-speed, high-scoring, high-skill, rock and roll football. I was in the house when the Albany Firebirds won the Arena Bowl in 2000, and it was one of the best sports experiences of my life. As a bonus, the Arena Bowl is in New Orleans this year.

Now it's 46-27. The Soul have "PHL" in big letters on the fronts of their jerseys.

The Dark Knight.

Overall, Dark Knight is magnificent. Go see it; it's an Iron Man / Spider-Man 2 / X-Men 2 level superhero movie. Heath Ledger is more amazing than you've heard he is.

No big spoilers here, but I had a couple significant beefs with the film. 1) There was no effort whatsoever to make Gotham not look like Chicago. Too many exteriors of the city features wide-open boulevards in a city that had been clearly designed in the previous film as cramped and claustrophobic--you know, like Gotham City. 2) The movie is about 20 minutes too long, in my humble opinion. In retrospect, the subplot with the Asian gangster ended up having much less of an impact on the story than it looked like it was going to, and could have been seriously compressed. Something needed to go; my attention was getting tired in the final act, and a good screenplay trim would have taken care of it.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army.

This is a love it or hate it movie. I loved it. It looks like all of the cool stuff from Pan's Labyrinth all the time. The first time I saw it I thought the story was thin; the second time I changed my mind. The story isn't thin, the visuals are so dominating that everything else is thin by comparison. Even if you hate the story and the characters, it's just beautiful to watch, and the most delightfully imaginative movie I've seen since The Fellowship of the Ring.

Getting my first manicure and pedicure

was awesome. I will do it again. I probably won't get color on my toenails again unless I go with James Bond.

I would kill James Bond

for his place in Hell's Kitchen. Kill him dead.

James Ricks

came to see Henry IV, Part 2 last night. I was surprised by how thrilled I was to see him. You go, James Ricks. You are awesome. I hope my Hamlet cast and his Richard III cast can find a way to hang together. With those two scripts, we're going to need to lighten things up after rehearsal. It's going to be a great fall for Shakespearean tragedy in Richmond.

Wall-e

I can't believe I still haven't seen it. Liz is going to kick my ass.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 7/27/2008 9:10 PM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    A big "amen" on the Hamlet and Richard III casts hanging out (especially with the brainy beauty Kate Powers back in town!) Very cool, very talented folks in both casts. I certainly intend to see Hamlet on a dark night from Richard III as well.

    We had video segment shoots today (and again tomorrow) for Richard III. I'd forgotten how much I really do enjoy acting for the camera. I wish the day job would allow me to do more of it - alas, it's not to be. But, I believe I've gotten better at it over time and it's a terrific acting challenge, quite different from the stage. I'm not the most "camera friendly" guy around but it sure is fun.

     
  • At 7/28/2008 9:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought Dark Night sucked. From my comments on chumps.net:

    I like "Batman and Robin" more than either of the new Batman movies. I though this movie, much like the last one, pretty much sucked. WAAAYYY too many ridiculous premises in both for them to take themselves so seriously.

    Where's the fun? Where were the zingers?

    Boo hiss from here. Guess I just don't take comic books seriously enough to enjoy this kind of fare.

    I prefer Burton's cityscapes and Schumacher's Soviet style city to Chicago - Gotham should NOT look anything like any real city and nothing should be recognizable.

    It's the setups that drive me nuts. Joker would have needed a virtual ARMY of bad guys to set all the traps and tricks up. Like, sure, nobody noticed those 20 barrels of gasoline and bombs in plain sight being loaded into the two ferries that morning. And it goes on and on.... The setups and situations were beyond ridiculous, the rest of the movie takes itself so seriously that it just doesn't jibe. The insane gas being mixed in the water supply to drive the whole city crazy in the first one was even more unbelievable. If the movie didn't present itself so seriously the plot devices wouldn't be a problem.

     
  • At 7/28/2008 9:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    These are the things you find unbelivable? Poor Phil....

     
  • At 7/29/2008 8:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Andrew!

    That's a beautiful idea!
    Maybe a bowling match between the two tragedies?

    James

     
  • At 7/29/2008 10:38 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    Bowling is a ROCKING GREAT idea.

     
  • At 7/29/2008 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very good. I'll have my people contact your people. We'll have shirts made...
    Had a great time at 2H4 the other day, by the way. Your percussions made me nostalgic.
    See you in the fall.

    James

     
  • At 7/29/2008 10:44 PM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    Bowling match? Nah! WRESTLING MATCH!

    COME! Where is this young gallant that is so desirous to lie with his mother earth?

    RICHARD III VS HAMLET: Two tragedies enter...no one leaves!

     
  • At 7/30/2008 9:58 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    James,

    I was really hoping you'd notice the Hotspur claves greeting your widow's entrance. Tragic the way mourning darkened Kate Percy's spirit--AND HER HAIR!

     
  • At 7/30/2008 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And did those feeeeeeeeeeet,
    In ancient tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime,
    Walk upon England's mouuuuunttaaaaaains greeeeeeeeeennnn............

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home