Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

News Flash: Pro Athlete Admits He Was Wrong!

It's my man Clinton Portis, who initially responded to the Michael Vick dog-fighting investigation by saying, "It's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."

From the Washington Post today:



"A couple of weeks ago, when I made those comments I didn't understand the seriousness behind it," Portis said. "I didn't know it would affect that many people, and didn't think what I said was that offensive. But after doing some research and seeing how serious people take this, I shouldn't have made the comments. I'm going to just leave it alone and hopefully it will die down and people will understand that. At that time I had no idea the love people have for animals, and I didn't consider it when I made those comments."

Portis said he received an outpouring of mail and informational pamphlets from critics, and paid more attention to the way humans and animals interact. He recently noticed a woman caring for her dog at an airport and thought about television coverage of people weeping over a whale that was stuck in a canal, and reconsidered his remarks.



Now, of course Portis also pled "my comments were taken out of context," which is cliche even when true. But I'm glad to see that Portis is man enough to have his mind change and admit it. That's a very rare thing in our society these days, almost unheard of in sports and impossible in politics.

Still, my #26 jersey is getting a four-game suspension. I won't wear Portis' number until week five. That's down from the season-long suspension I had given it previously.

Also, Michael Vick is a dingus. We're done with him here.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 6/07/2007 11:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK, I know I should post this down in the correct area where the conversation began...but I want to make sure Frank reads this...so I am breaking the rules and posting this here!

    It was great to see you last night Frank...even though I was wandering aimlessly...looking for some “blue room” in a church filled with BLUE rooms! What the heck is that about? I did walk into a room with the largest photo of the head of Jesus that I have ever seen in my life. I was hoping that it wasn’t the blue room that we were rehearsing in…because I would be too afraid to mess up a line with the large Jesus head watching me.

    Hmmm…maybe I need the Jesus head on my fridge so I stop snacking in-between meals…

    But I digress…

    Yeah, I went ahead and flat out asked Grant why you were not in the show and he said he tried not to double cast because of time. I’m thinking that policy needs to change! I mean what if the actor in question has no life…like me? What if they like to have no nights off and spend every waking moment memorizing lines? What if this is the one thing in their life that stops them from becoming a bag person on the street?

    Anyway…long story short…next time insist on being cast in the show I am doing, so we can hang out together and most importantly go out drinking afterwards! Well, shoot…I guess we can still do that!

    Oh, and we were misinformed on the blue room…we should have been looking for the “GAME ROOM”. Once we discovered this, then it only took us another 15 mins to find that room. I now have the church memorized and am avoiding the floating Jesus head room at all costs!

    Amen!

     
  • At 6/07/2007 3:32 PM , Blogger Scott Wichmann said...

    "Still, my #26 jersey is getting a four-game suspension. I won't wear Portis' number until week five. That's down from the season-long suspension I had given it previously."

    That is freaking awesome. I have never heard of a 'fan-jersey suspension.' In the words of Jim Rome. "Rack Him."

    Excellent suspension. Fair-minded and objective. You should run for office...

     
  • At 6/08/2007 4:05 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    i am with scott. that is great - suspend the jersey. going to have to tell my oldest that's what needs to be done here as well... vick is at the bottom of the totem pole down here in the ATL for sure. he can cut his hair and change his attire but that's not chaning many minds here. hmm.

     
  • At 6/08/2007 4:06 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    and that's some hmm with attitude!

     
  • At 6/09/2007 9:14 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    If I had a Vick jersey, I'd set the damn thing on fire.

     
  • At 6/09/2007 9:53 AM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    Okay, first on the Portis issue: Not being a Skins' fan, I could care less about their running back, but fact is these guys don't make a habit of dissin' their buds no matter WHAT the behavior. Portis' contrite backpedalling is, to me, nothing more than spin and damage control. He could care less if dogs tear themselves apart, people bet on it, Vick supports it or if the whole Vick clan molests underage girls all the while. I could be wrong, just my opinion, mind you, but I don't see these guys writing an "I Am Third"/Gale Sayers type of a book. Much less READING one.

    Jacquie - first pint is on me. The floating Jesus head/multiple blue room story and the laugh it elicited entitles you to that! If by chance I see you wandering the street with a grocery cart, though, then lunch is on me as well!

     
  • At 6/10/2007 8:59 AM , Blogger Andrew Hamm said...

    I think, Frank, that you're generally right about the "don't talk trash about my buds" issue. I brought up the Portis issue specifically because I think it's different.

    The standard "apology" is more along the lines of "I apologize if some people found my comments hurtful or offensive," you know, the whole "I'm sorry you're so hyper-sensitive" tack. Portis' comments weren't like that. I think he's a guy who grew up with no special regard for animals as anything other than mobile objects. As hard as that is for the pet owners who frequent this silly little blog to understand, there are a lot of people out there who don't have any feeling for animals at all. I think he's had his mind opened a bit. If you'll refer to the quote again, he claims to have researched and gotten lots of mail and information from fans and critics and--miracle of miracles--he seems to have actually taken it to heart.

    I'm generally very cynical about celebrity, politician and athlete apologies, but I think this guy got it right for once.

     
  • At 6/10/2007 10:28 AM , Blogger Frank Creasy said...

    You might be right Andrew, I could be off base here...I'm just not sold, I guess. Maybe I'm TOO cynical about pro athletes today, and having been involved primarily in sports that did not lead to professional careers (wrestling, karate), my heroes - guys like 1972 gold medal freestyle wrestler Dan Gable - seem cut from a different cloth altogether than a Clinton Portis or Michael Vick.

    Maybe my standard is too high, maybe I'm too unforgiving with these fellows. I'm not quite ready to applaud Portis, but for now...I'm setting down the stone I was about to throw.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home