Andrew Hamm: the Bipolar Express

Ruminations on theatre, music, and just about anything else that crosses my bipolar brain.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My First Freakin' Commercial!

I had the joy of acting in my first television commercial yesterday. It's a 14-week regional buy for the Virginia Prepaid Education Program, which means you're gonna see my ugly mug all over the state until you can't stand it any more.

When Jeanne Boisineau called last Tuesday to offer me the part, she said "The cast is a who's-who of Richmond stage actors." In my head, I said "You mean it's a who's-who of Richmond stage actors and me?"


But she was right! I arrived at Bellevue School and was instantly dazzled by the stars! Terry Gau played my wife (we were the "angry couple"), John Moon, Barry Ellenberger and Jill Bari Steinberg were just the first few I saw there.

I don't have time to write much today, but here are a few pictures snapped with my cell phone.




The stage, where the kids' choir would soon sing (according to our prop programs) the Bellevue School Musical College Costs a Lot. I was called back for the first national of College Costs a Lot in the '90s.





Terry Gau, wisely multitasking.





Barry and Jill Bari making good use of the six hours between our call and the beginning of our porion of the shooting by chatting and watching the kids be wacky.








And the kids, as seen from my seat in the second row. The little Asian boy downstage center, Josh, is destined for stardom. He was just effortlessly working the room, and never ran out of energy. I see a small, Asian Jim Carrey in our entertainment future.

I apologize ahead of time for the fact that you will have the song from this commercial stuck in your head more deeply and inextricably than "The Carol of the Bells" this Christmas season.

Next time I'll remember to bring a real camera.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home